A transcript of dinner at our house tonight:
[Scene: the dining room table, 6:30 pm. Served: ginger carrot soup with caramelized onions, caesar salad, homemade croutons, and crackers & cheese. Crackers & cheese are very important.]
Camryn: "Want crackers! Want crackers! Waaaaannnt crrraaaaaackers!"
Tamsin: "Aaaaiiieeeeeeeee! Ma-MEE! Ma-MEE! Ma-MEEEE!"
Karl: "Camryn, if you want crackers, then you have to say, 'Daddy? Can I have some crackers, please?' "
Tamsin: "Aaaah! Aaaah! AAIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!!"
Me: "My ears hurt. It feels like we're eating outside of the monkey cage at the zoo."
Camryn: "Daddy...want CRAAACKERS!!!"
Karl: "Camryn, did you hear what I said? If you want crackers, then you have to say, 'Daddy? Can I have some crackers, please?' "
Camryn: "Ehhh...Ehhhhhh—NO, I CAN'T SAY IT!!!"
Karl: "Well, then I can't give you a cracker."
Megan: "I have a headache now."
Tamsin: "EEEEEEEE!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"
Camryn: "Want cheese! Want cheese!"
Karl [taking a long and very deliberate bite of cheese]: "Mmmm. This cheese is delicious. Megan, would YOU likes some cheese and crackers?"
Megan: "Why, THANK YOU, Karl! That does sound delicious. May I have some cheese and crackers, PLEASE?"
Karl: "Of COURSE you can!"
Megan: "Thank you VERY MUCH!"
Camryn: "WANT CHEEEEEEESE. WAAAAAANNNNNNTTTTT CHEEEEEEEEEEESSSSEEEE!"
[End scene.]
Editor's note: Need for Family Home Evening following dinner: 100%. Chance of us singing "Love At Home" for FHE: 0%.
7 comments:
WOW can you say massive headache.
I'm sure that the candlelight added to the ambience of the dinner war zone. The soup sounds delicious. (I sure like the psychology that you used, by the way.)
I had to clap my hand over my mouth to avoid guffawing out loud once I scrolled down enough to reveal the bottom half of that picture! Ohhhh, my goodness. I guess that's a hill Camryn is determined to die on.
Oddly, now, I want crackers and cheese, too.
At first I thought she had that face because she didn't like the candles. hahahahaha. it's so easy to laugh when it's not your kid acting stinkery. although sometimes i do laugh when it's james. reminds me of the kid on Nanny Mcphee, "But I NEVER say please!" My sister has recently started calling her daughter scarlett "Veruca Salt."
You and Karl have very good manners, you were taught very well!! Kudos to your parents :)
Grandmere would be very proud of your attempts!!
Somehow, though, I'm not daunted. I can hardly wait until Dec. 24!!
That transcript sounds EXACTLY like so many meals at our house! Why can't the darn kid (whichever one it happens to be at the moment) just say "please" in a nice voice? They act like they're being tortured! Jason and I do the same kind of role playing you and Karl do. I wonder why it is so rarely effective... it seems like an obviously genius tactic to me!!
Post a Comment